Acupuncture & Pregnancy
When the body is out of balance, pregnancy can be a time of great physical and emotional discomfort. Classical Chinese medicine and acupuncture can provide a profound positive influence on this time of life, bringing positive balance to a woman's physical system, and emotional well-being by creating physical and hormonal stability.
Acupuncture alone can help to normalize the central nervous system and the endocrine system which helps to normalize hormonal function. Acupuncture can also be effectively used to treat related fatigue, anxiety, and pain during pregnancy.
Regular acupuncture during the period of pregnancy can set a strong stable foundation for a more comfortable pregnancy and easier birth experience. Several European studies found that once a week acupuncture during the last month of pregnancy had significantly shorter labor than women who did not receive any acupuncture.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), acupuncture alone has been found useful for relieving labor pain, nausea, vomiting and significantly reducing the duration of labor. There is also strong evidence that acupuncture can help with a breech birth. Here's a list of conditions encountered during pregnancy for which acupuncture can be helpful.
- breech presentation
- pain: back pain, sciatica
- gestational diabetes
- high blood pressure (pre-eclampsia)
- labor issues: pre-term labor, delayed labor
- labor pain
- lactation problems
- low energy
- PUPPs & other pregnancy-related skin conditions
- certain types of threatened miscarriage
- nausea, vomiting, and hyperemesis gravidarum
- posterior presentation
- postpartum depression
- symphysis pubis pain
Acupuncture during the three trimesters
Acupuncture during the first trimester of pregnancy sets a strong foundation for the health and well-being of both mother and child during pregnancy. During this time, acupuncture addresses typical early pregnancy symptoms such as nausea and helps prevent miscarriage. During the second trimester, acupuncture serves to maintain balance and bring relief from many common complaints of pregnancy. During the third trimester, acupuncture prepares the body for labor and delivery.
Postpartum acupuncture assists reinstating balance and well-being. Some of the postpartum conditions that acupuncture can treat are:
- abdominal pain
- decreased energy and vitality
- hormonal imbalances
- lactation problems
- night sweats
- persistent bleeding
- postpartum depression
Acupuncture & Fertility pamphlet from Acupuncture Media Works, LLC, (2005).
Acupuncture: Review and analysis of reports on controlled clinical trials. World Health Organization, Geneva, 2002. www.who.int/medicines
- "I've had IBS my entire life. ... I didn't really have much faith that he could help,
because I had seen acupuncturist for IBS in the past (both local and out of state) and had no real luck.
Wow was I wrong! After 4 acupuncture treatments my symptoms are gone!"
- "I was experiencing low back and hip pain. ... I really didn't want to start down the path to surgery. I decided to try acupuncture. Stacy is awesome! I went to see him once. Both my pain and my limp went away after my first session. I've been
pain free ever since."
- "After two acupuncture treatments with Stacy, I no longer wake up at night and feel like someone has sprayed me down with a water hose.
Also all the problems I had with hot flashes during the day causing me to be embarrassed because I would start randomly sweating for no reason.
- "After the birth of my first child, I could never shake feeling really fatigued. ... I really started to struggle to find joy in my life. It just seemed that my fatigue and mood kept getting worse. A friend recommended Stacy to me. After several treatments I'm starting to feel like my old self. I have so much more energy and my mood has improved exponentially! It's so amazing to feel the zest of life again!" --LK
- "Over the past year a combination of work stress and family tragedy has left me finding myself to be really anxious and to constantly worry. I... Stacy has a really great way of listening and is a very compassionate person. ... After a few treatments and an herbal formula, my mind seems more calm, I don't seem to worry as much, and my job stress doesn't bother me as much. I feel more at peace." --TY
- "I started receiving Acupuncture from Stacy Hewitt at Acupuncture Health Company in January after having had the flu. My IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) was really giving me a hard time, probably due to the antibiotics I had to take, and my general state of health. Stacy gave me several treatments. After the first one I had relief and even more with each consecutive treatment." --Sharon
- "I’m a bargain shopper at heart. When I was diagnosed with IBS, I called around trying to find the best deal on acupuncture. ..Stacy was very knowledgeable, but I went with another acupuncturist because they were cheaper…. That was a mistake…. After 8 sessions with the cheaper acupuncturist I had no relief…. Because Stacy was so highly recommend and my stomach was so painful, I went back to Stacy to give acupuncture one last try. 4 sessions later I felt great…… I learned Value really is getting quality health care, not the cheapest price " --F.S.
- "Our 7 year old son was diagnoses with c-dif. He was experiencing constant diarrhea, extreme bloating and abdominal pain… After three additional rounds of antibiotics and that doctor wanting to do a fourth, we said enough. We had heard Stacy specialized in digestive issues and also worked in pediatrics… On the first visit Stacy gave us an herbal formula to give to our son…A week later our sons stool sample came back pathogen free…. Just simply amazing!" --Marry H
- "I suffered from hip bursitis for over a year and, despite p.t. and prescribed exercises, the bursitis continued to interfere with my life. Four acupuncture treatments with Stacy has me back on track and out of pain!"
- "Sleep. Life is miserable without sleep. .... Over the past few years my job has become very stressful. I started having problems sleeping. I tried everything. Chiropractic, massage, western medicine, pills. ... [Stacy] was very informative and professional. ... It took a few treatments, but they were worth every penny. Now I sleep like a baby in a crib. Currently, I like to see him once a month to help with my job stress. Acupuncture has really been a great benefit!" -- BD