Acupuncture, Fertility & Infertility
While Western medicine has made great progress in helping women and men with infertility/fertility issues, Classical Chinese medicine offers many procedures for assisting with conception, pregnancy, and even problems encountered during labor.
Classical Chinese medicine describes the reproductive system as a network of energy systems with related organs and metabolic and hormonal activity. This network responds to stress, chemicals, lack of exercise, poor diet and excess emotions all of which can put the body out of balance. Through Classical Chinese medicine, an individualized program of herbs, acupuncture, diet and lifestyle changes can be recommended to help restore the balance needed for successful conception and a comfortable pregnancy.
Benefits of Acupuncture Leading to Improved Fertility
- Stress reduction - balancing the sympathetic nervous system
- Strengthened immune system - naturally corrects immunological markers
- Regulates fertility hormones - influences the source of women's ovulatory and fertility hormones, and creates better egg quality
- Assists with successful IVF - increased blood flow creates a thicker and more regular uterine lining and improves ovarian response.
- Decreases the change of miscarriage - relaxed uterus increases uterine blood flow, increases the immune system, regulates hormones and decreases stress
- Helps fertility issues for men - improves sperm count, motility, and morphology
Acupuncture Fertility Research
A study published in the medical journal Fertility and Sterility found that acupuncture dramatically improves the chances of becoming pregnant when used in conjunction with other assisted reproductive techniques.
In addition, meta research from Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York concluded that acupuncture helps to:
- Reduce anxiety, stress and the hormones that are secreted during stressful situations that can significantly decrease fertility
- Normalize hormone and endocrine systems that regulate ovulation, especially in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Positively affect the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, which plays a key role in fertility
- Regulate menstrual cycle
Paulus W., et. al., influence of acupuncture on pregnancy rate in patients who undergo assisted reproduction therapy. Fertility and Sterility, volume 77, April 2002, 721-724
5 Ways Acupuncture Can Boost Fertility, Prevention.com, 2002.
How Acupuncture Enhances Fertility, Robin Hays, LAc, DNBAO., OMD, & Nancy Rakela, OMD, LAc
- "I've had IBS my entire life. ... I didn't really have much faith that he could help,
because I had seen acupuncturist for IBS in the past (both local and out of state) and had no real luck.
Wow was I wrong! After 4 acupuncture treatments my symptoms are gone!"
- "I was experiencing low back and hip pain. ... I really didn't want to start down the path to surgery. I decided to try acupuncture. Stacy is awesome! I went to see him once. Both my pain and my limp went away after my first session. I've been
pain free ever since."
- "After two acupuncture treatments with Stacy, I no longer wake up at night and feel like someone has sprayed me down with a water hose.
Also all the problems I had with hot flashes during the day causing me to be embarrassed because I would start randomly sweating for no reason.
- "After the birth of my first child, I could never shake feeling really fatigued. ... I really started to struggle to find joy in my life. It just seemed that my fatigue and mood kept getting worse. A friend recommended Stacy to me. After several treatments I'm starting to feel like my old self. I have so much more energy and my mood has improved exponentially! It's so amazing to feel the zest of life again!" --LK
- "Over the past year a combination of work stress and family tragedy has left me finding myself to be really anxious and to constantly worry. I... Stacy has a really great way of listening and is a very compassionate person. ... After a few treatments and an herbal formula, my mind seems more calm, I don't seem to worry as much, and my job stress doesn't bother me as much. I feel more at peace." --TY
- "I started receiving Acupuncture from Stacy Hewitt at Acupuncture Health Company in January after having had the flu. My IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) was really giving me a hard time, probably due to the antibiotics I had to take, and my general state of health. Stacy gave me several treatments. After the first one I had relief and even more with each consecutive treatment." --Sharon
- "I’m a bargain shopper at heart. When I was diagnosed with IBS, I called around trying to find the best deal on acupuncture. ..Stacy was very knowledgeable, but I went with another acupuncturist because they were cheaper…. That was a mistake…. After 8 sessions with the cheaper acupuncturist I had no relief…. Because Stacy was so highly recommend and my stomach was so painful, I went back to Stacy to give acupuncture one last try. 4 sessions later I felt great…… I learned Value really is getting quality health care, not the cheapest price " --F.S.
- "Our 7 year old son was diagnoses with c-dif. He was experiencing constant diarrhea, extreme bloating and abdominal pain… After three additional rounds of antibiotics and that doctor wanting to do a fourth, we said enough. We had heard Stacy specialized in digestive issues and also worked in pediatrics… On the first visit Stacy gave us an herbal formula to give to our son…A week later our sons stool sample came back pathogen free…. Just simply amazing!" --Marry H
- "I suffered from hip bursitis for over a year and, despite p.t. and prescribed exercises, the bursitis continued to interfere with my life. Four acupuncture treatments with Stacy has me back on track and out of pain!"
- "Sleep. Life is miserable without sleep. .... Over the past few years my job has become very stressful. I started having problems sleeping. I tried everything. Chiropractic, massage, western medicine, pills. ... [Stacy] was very informative and professional. ... It took a few treatments, but they were worth every penny. Now I sleep like a baby in a crib. Currently, I like to see him once a month to help with my job stress. Acupuncture has really been a great benefit!" -- BD