Pediatric Chinese Medicine
Acupuncture treatment is a known and common treatment for adults. However, many people don't realize how valuable Chinese medicine can be for their children. Pediatric Chinese Medicine has been helping children feel better for thousands of years. It is very effective in treating both acute and chronic conditions and is an excellent form of pediatric medicine: safe, drug-free, and holistic. Whether being used preventatively or for current conditions, a child can start getting treatment as young as a couple of weeks old. Because children are innately active and energetic, they respond very quickly to treatment and often recover faster than adults.
Conditions treated include:
- Sinus congestion
- Respiratory issues
- Low immunity or frequent colds
- Sleeping issues and insomnia
- Nightmares and night terrors
- Excessive night crying
- ADD, ADHD
- Bed wetting
- Digestive issues and abdominal pain
- Indigestion, GERD, and Acid reflux
- Nausea and vomiting
- Skin issues, rashes, eczema, cradle cap
- Ear infections (especially reoccurring)
- Teething pain
- Body pain/Growing pains
- Weak constitutions or failure to thrive
- Temper tantrums
Young adults and pre-teens also experience huge benefit from acupuncture for many issues including menstruation issues, painful period, heavy or light period, PMS, emotional or behavioral difficulties, digestive disorders, acne, and general stressors of being a teen.
If you don't see your child's specific health concern listed, please call for a free consultation.
What to expect
A typical first treatment for a child is similar to an adult in that it is a chance for us to talk about your child's heath. The first treatment will last from 45 minutes to an hour. This time allows us to go over all of your concerns and provide treatment for your child. After that, treatment sessions usually last from 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the age of the child.
The treatment usually includes shonishin, a form of Japanese pediatric massage. Also, depending on the age, health condition and comfort level of the child, they may receive 2-6 pediatric needles. Some children may be very shy and may not want to receive a treatment, and that is OK! Respecting the child's comfort level is important to us. In these situations, we can provide herbs, stick on ear seeds and treatment strategies for parents to do at home.
When using needles with children under age 7, we insert the needle and leave it in for only a couple of seconds and then take it out (unlike adult acupuncture where needles are left in for a longer period of time). For older kids and teens, we do a treatment consisting of about 4-6 needles and let them relax for a few minutes. Parents are always welcome to stay in the treatment room, and for some young children and infants, a parent's lap is the most soothing place for them to receive treatment.
What we use to treat children
Shonishin is a specialized form of pediatric treatment that was developed in Japan 400 years ago. The techniques involve rhythmic stroking, rubbing, tapping along the body and pressing of acupressure points. These techniques harmonize and fortify the child's energy, and strengthen the child's constitution and immune system.
Needle treatments usually consists of acupressure and then 2-6 pediatric needles, depending on the age and comfort level of the child. The pediatric needles are smaller than a cat's whisker, and insertion is quick and gentle. Commonly, there is no pain. If there is any discomfort, it is brief and usually compared to a "mosquito bite," meaning that the pain is minor and fleeting.
After the treatment, we may apply ear seeds, which are little metal balls held on by clear plastic tape. These may be applied on the ears or on the body to help provide gentle stimulation of acupuncture points. These points can be pressed on in the week following the treatment and serve to reinforce what we have done in treatment.
Chinese Herbal Formulas
For centuries, Chinese Herbal Formulas have been one of the most potent tools for Chinese pediatric medicine. Chinese herbal formulas will either be given in a powdered form, which can be mixed with foods, juice or other natural sweeteners such as honey or in the form of tinctures. Most of the tincture are glycerin based, making them pleasant to kids.
Acupressure is pressure on an acupuncture point. The point can be either held or massaged. It is done with fingers or a small non-invasive tool such as the Tsumo-shin. The Tsmo-shin is a non-insert, spring loaded probe which gently activates acupuncture points.
Eating habits can be a cause of disease in the body. Often, simple changes in diet can have a dramatic effect on health.
Cupping is used to apply light suction on certain acupuncture points (mainly on the back). This technique helps promote circulation and relieves pain. This is especially good for colds, flu, lung congestion and asthma.
- "I've had IBS my entire life. ... I didn't really have much faith that he could help,
because I had seen acupuncturist for IBS in the past (both local and out of state) and had no real luck.
Wow was I wrong! After 4 acupuncture treatments my symptoms are gone!"
- "I was experiencing low back and hip pain. ... I really didn't want to start down the path to surgery. I decided to try acupuncture. Stacy is awesome! I went to see him once. Both my pain and my limp went away after my first session. I've been
pain free ever since."
- "After two acupuncture treatments with Stacy, I no longer wake up at night and feel like someone has sprayed me down with a water hose.
Also all the problems I had with hot flashes during the day causing me to be embarrassed because I would start randomly sweating for no reason.
- "After the birth of my first child, I could never shake feeling really fatigued. ... I really started to struggle to find joy in my life. It just seemed that my fatigue and mood kept getting worse. A friend recommended Stacy to me. After several treatments I'm starting to feel like my old self. I have so much more energy and my mood has improved exponentially! It's so amazing to feel the zest of life again!" --LK
- "Over the past year a combination of work stress and family tragedy has left me finding myself to be really anxious and to constantly worry. I... Stacy has a really great way of listening and is a very compassionate person. ... After a few treatments and an herbal formula, my mind seems more calm, I don't seem to worry as much, and my job stress doesn't bother me as much. I feel more at peace." --TY
- "I started receiving Acupuncture from Stacy Hewitt at Acupuncture Health Company in January after having had the flu. My IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) was really giving me a hard time, probably due to the antibiotics I had to take, and my general state of health. Stacy gave me several treatments. After the first one I had relief and even more with each consecutive treatment." --Sharon
- "I’m a bargain shopper at heart. When I was diagnosed with IBS, I called around trying to find the best deal on acupuncture. ..Stacy was very knowledgeable, but I went with another acupuncturist because they were cheaper…. That was a mistake…. After 8 sessions with the cheaper acupuncturist I had no relief…. Because Stacy was so highly recommend and my stomach was so painful, I went back to Stacy to give acupuncture one last try. 4 sessions later I felt great…… I learned Value really is getting quality health care, not the cheapest price " --F.S.
- "Our 7 year old son was diagnoses with c-dif. He was experiencing constant diarrhea, extreme bloating and abdominal pain… After three additional rounds of antibiotics and that doctor wanting to do a fourth, we said enough. We had heard Stacy specialized in digestive issues and also worked in pediatrics… On the first visit Stacy gave us an herbal formula to give to our son…A week later our sons stool sample came back pathogen free…. Just simply amazing!" --Marry H
- "I suffered from hip bursitis for over a year and, despite p.t. and prescribed exercises, the bursitis continued to interfere with my life. Four acupuncture treatments with Stacy has me back on track and out of pain!"
- "Sleep. Life is miserable without sleep. .... Over the past few years my job has become very stressful. I started having problems sleeping. I tried everything. Chiropractic, massage, western medicine, pills. ... [Stacy] was very informative and professional. ... It took a few treatments, but they were worth every penny. Now I sleep like a baby in a crib. Currently, I like to see him once a month to help with my job stress. Acupuncture has really been a great benefit!" -- BD