Acupuncture Treatment for Depression
Depression in America
Many Americans are troubled by depression. It is a trend that is growing in this fast pace of life, and disconcertingly, more and more young people are depressed in the process of growing up in increasing isolation. Approximately 20 million Americans will experience an episode of depression in their lifetimes. There is no question that depression is a serious illness.
If you have depression, you probably find it really difficult to get through the simplest daily routines, stay on a healthy diet, keep a good balance between social and family life and career responsibilities. You probably feel disconnected from other people. You may be experiencing physical symptoms such as headaches, pain, fatigue or insomnia. You find it tough to concentrate. You may be living emotional symptoms such as feeling guilty, worthless, or hopeless, and you may even think about suicide.
Today more than 10% of all Americans are taking anti-anxiety or anti-depressant drugs when they should be, but are unable to make changes in their life. However, the major antidepressant drugs only address symptoms associated with depression, and can cause a variety of side effects, including insomnia, anxiety, listlessness, fatigue, body rash, tremors, facial tics, diarrhea, loss of appetite and sexual dysfunction. While these medications may provide temporary relief, ultimately they complete the problem and make it increasingly difficult for individuals to seek and implement change.
Acupuncture, Depression & Anxiety
Our physical body and our emotions are, in reality, inseparable. Changes to the body affect the emotions; changes to the emotions affect the body. This is well known to both western science and Chinese medicine. When we experience emotional upset, our internal environment becomes disrupted. Likewise, physical problems affect our emotions.
Classical Chinese medicine identifies the imbalance of "stagnant or depressed Qi" as a condition, which, if not treated, can lead to depression. Classical Chinese medicine can not only help to alleviate the symptoms of depression, but they can address the root causes and underlying imbalances that contribute to the problem. They can do so safely, naturally, effectly, and without reliance on problematic drug therapy.
International Foundation for Research and Education on Depression www.ifred.org
- "I've had IBS my entire life. ... I didn't really have much faith that he could help,
because I had seen acupuncturist for IBS in the past (both local and out of state) and had no real luck.
Wow was I wrong! After 4 acupuncture treatments my symptoms are gone!"
- "I was experiencing low back and hip pain. ... I really didn't want to start down the path to surgery. I decided to try acupuncture. Stacy is awesome! I went to see him once. Both my pain and my limp went away after my first session. I've been
pain free ever since."
- "After two acupuncture treatments with Stacy, I no longer wake up at night and feel like someone has sprayed me down with a water hose.
Also all the problems I had with hot flashes during the day causing me to be embarrassed because I would start randomly sweating for no reason.
- "After the birth of my first child, I could never shake feeling really fatigued. ... I really started to struggle to find joy in my life. It just seemed that my fatigue and mood kept getting worse. A friend recommended Stacy to me. After several treatments I'm starting to feel like my old self. I have so much more energy and my mood has improved exponentially! It's so amazing to feel the zest of life again!" --LK
- "Over the past year a combination of work stress and family tragedy has left me finding myself to be really anxious and to constantly worry. I... Stacy has a really great way of listening and is a very compassionate person. ... After a few treatments and an herbal formula, my mind seems more calm, I don't seem to worry as much, and my job stress doesn't bother me as much. I feel more at peace." --TY
- "I started receiving Acupuncture from Stacy Hewitt at Acupuncture Health Company in January after having had the flu. My IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) was really giving me a hard time, probably due to the antibiotics I had to take, and my general state of health. Stacy gave me several treatments. After the first one I had relief and even more with each consecutive treatment." --Sharon
- "I’m a bargain shopper at heart. When I was diagnosed with IBS, I called around trying to find the best deal on acupuncture. ..Stacy was very knowledgeable, but I went with another acupuncturist because they were cheaper…. That was a mistake…. After 8 sessions with the cheaper acupuncturist I had no relief…. Because Stacy was so highly recommend and my stomach was so painful, I went back to Stacy to give acupuncture one last try. 4 sessions later I felt great…… I learned Value really is getting quality health care, not the cheapest price " --F.S.
- "Our 7 year old son was diagnoses with c-dif. He was experiencing constant diarrhea, extreme bloating and abdominal pain… After three additional rounds of antibiotics and that doctor wanting to do a fourth, we said enough. We had heard Stacy specialized in digestive issues and also worked in pediatrics… On the first visit Stacy gave us an herbal formula to give to our son…A week later our sons stool sample came back pathogen free…. Just simply amazing!" --Marry H
- "I suffered from hip bursitis for over a year and, despite p.t. and prescribed exercises, the bursitis continued to interfere with my life. Four acupuncture treatments with Stacy has me back on track and out of pain!"
- "Sleep. Life is miserable without sleep. .... Over the past few years my job has become very stressful. I started having problems sleeping. I tried everything. Chiropractic, massage, western medicine, pills. ... [Stacy] was very informative and professional. ... It took a few treatments, but they were worth every penny. Now I sleep like a baby in a crib. Currently, I like to see him once a month to help with my job stress. Acupuncture has really been a great benefit!" -- BD